einen blog

Saturday, August 12, 2006

some irrational fears

I've lost 20 points off my IQ and and all sense of correct american cynicism and taste. One of the problems in not knowing the language is that I'm always slow...like last weekend when the tram system was disrupted due to construction and there was a PA announcement every 10 minutes that instead of taking the #3, I should take the #9 and transfer at paradeplatz. it took three #9's stopping and leaving before I figured this out. or that the 3 prices at the ice tea machine are (1) small, (2) large and (3) large plus you buy the glass. the "buy the glass" option means that you get the glass that is in front of the ice tea machine, the other options' glasses are near the water fountain. I bought 2 glasses and put them back through the cafeteria system before this was pointed out to me. and then there's the trash, which I've had to store on my balcony for 2 weeks because I couldn't figure out my trash day. I went to see the Pirate movie and thought it was fantastic - everyone was laughing, I was laughing. and then I asked myself, it got poor reviews in the states, what does me + swiss laughing at the same movie mean? the europeans love Home Improvement (the bouncer at a club I walked by was wearing an "authentic" t-shirt, tool belt and workboots...at a dance club). will I soon adore Home Improvement, or even worse, The King of Queens?

am I mere weeks away from re-discovering Knight Rider on iTunes and developing an obsession with David Hasselhof?

3 Comments:

At 2:59 AM, Blogger riverocker said...

Pretty soon you will start to speak in broken english (it happened to me). Maybe you will also yell at people when they cross the street against the light even though no cars are coming (someone did that to me-one of the nice times to not understand Swiss German)

 
At 3:03 AM, Blogger riverocker said...

or yell at people when they do their laundry on Sunday

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger rosebrier said...

Well germans do love David Hasselhof :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home